Thursday 5 March 2009

Tear It Up

How silly of me to not take my camera with me when walking to the dentist for a check up. Not that you expect to want to take a photo in such a place, but walking along a main road that dissects part of the local forest is always somewhere that you might see something interesting. Most of the wildlife stay inside the forest areas and don't bother with the road - why would they? I saw a coyote once, but they are hardly exclusive to forests.
Today, however, two of the resident ravens of the forest had found a filling breakfast a bit away from the road. 8:45am and they were already feasting on squirrel. They allowed me to get close, before moving a couple of metres away as I walked past. I don't know whether they had killed the squirrel or not; it's certainly possible. But they are known to let other creatures or circumstances do their dirty work for them, and swoop down afterwards to get a free meal.
It would have been great to have capture on camera an example of the food chain at work (the photo above I took a few weeks ago), or their beautiful, shiny black plumage in the morning sun, their awesome beaks also catching the light.
Or one of the ravens looking at me and swallowing a big bloody piece of squirrel.

1 comments:

wee_wee said...

Oh darnit! I agree that it would have been sweet to get a shot of the bird eating roadkill. Now you know to take your camera with you, silly boy!