Wednesday 17 December 2008

Two Hours Of Winter Fame

Winter has really hit hard here recently. All this bulldefecation about winter not starting until the solstice next week. Rubbish. Winter starts when it gets to winter temperatures, whether it be early or late. Living in a country where the winters are cold, winter comes earlier than the solstice pretty much every year. I love winter, I love cold. I love weather; even if that means I perpetaully moan about it when it is hotter than I would like and more humid than I would like. I will quite happily watch weather channels on television; and one in particular has regular slots for showing photographs of the weather as captured by viewers. So I decided that after seeing curious ice formations that I struggle to understand exactly how they managed to form as they did, at and around the base of a small waterfall in the local forest, I would send in my encapsulation to The Weather Network. Lo and behold, they chose it and showed it for two consecutive hours. It was worth getting up at the crack of dawn and venturing outside in the -9°C temperature after all. Wait; it's always worth doing that. Significant snowfall somehow missed this area a few days beforehand, so I was pleased that they also chose a photo of ice and not only photos of the snow that was covering pretty much the rest of the country. Not a bad result, considering I had never sent in anything to a television station before. Then came the snow.
Between fifteen and twenty centimetres of wonderfully powdery, soft, arctic outflow winter frozen heaven. I never cease to be amazed and thrilled by just how much everything is transformed by a good covering of snow, and how suddenly the whole world is different. With temperatures forecast to continue the last few days' trend of staying below freezing day and night until Christmas, with more snow before then, a white Christmas is surely a certainty. Which is fantastic. What would be even more fantastic would be a white 365 days a year. Leap years can have the extra day without snow, just so I can see and enjoy everything that would otherwise be hidden.

0 comments: